Thursday, August 21, 2008

If I Had My Druthers

"I came here because someone said you were a good church," she said, "that you helped people."

One time four friends brought their paralyzed friend to see Jesus. The crowd was so large that they could not get in to see Him. So they climbed up on the roof of the house, tore the roof off, and lowered their friend down on the bed he was on so that he could get near Jesus. The whole story starts with these words, "And again He (Jesus) entered Capernaum after some days, and it was heard that He was in the house.

I am amazed by the dedication and love of these four friends, but I am intrigued by this first verse in the story. People knew Jesus was in the house. They knew that healing was there. His reputation preceded Him and it announced His presence.

I am sure that there are many God-following churches in this area, but today I am glad that I pastor this one. We are small, about 125 worshippers on a Sunday morning. But, someone heard that they could find help here, and hope. I would rather pastor a church of 125 who demonstrate the love of God through serving others than a church of a thousand who come to be served. Of course, small is no guarantee of spirituality. How wonderful it would be if every church, both great and small, was known as a place of God's truth and God's love.

1 comments:

Tammie said...

I'm blessed to be a part of such a church, as well!!!