Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Unnatural Birth

I've been reading and thinking about Hannah, her husband, and her son, Samuel. I love the drama that unfolds in their lives and how God's sovereignty is so personal in their lives. Comparing the unnatural, gracious birth of Samuel with the natural lives of the high priest's sons, Hophni and Phineas, has made me long for an even more unnatural life. Those two men were born into a high priest's family and assumed the mantel of the priesthood naturally, but they were corrupt and spiritually destitute. As aweful as they were, I still pity them. How horrible it is to live a natural life; whether it is religious or not. The Christian life is an unnatural one. It cannot be attained or lived naturally. It is a supernatural gift received and lived by faith. I am so glad to be born of the Spirit. I could have spent my life naturally, religiously, raised in church, working as a pastor, and never knowing the joy of Christ. But, by God's grace, I have been born again. Grace has forever marked me, changed me. It is the only explanation for the heart I now possess. As imperfect and incomplete as I am today, I can never go back to a religiously natural life. By the providence of God my life will never be the same.

2 comments:

SelahV said...

Cyle, and I, too, recognize the imperfection of myself who is only made perfect in Christ. I love that He has placed me within His being and that the old flesh that beats me up each day is going to be gone someday. I love knowing that this old body I try to comfort, pleasure and keep going by every new-fangled means possible, it going to be gone and I'm going to have a new one. I love knowing that in Christ I have peace and comfort and rest. I am grateful you are my brother. selahV

Tammie said...

Wow, I finally found you again!!! Yeah, go team!