Thursday, September 18, 2008

The Betrothal

In three weeks we will dedicate our new fellowship area. In three weeks we will say goodbye to a family that has served so faithfully here at Calvary. In three weeks we will ordain five men to serve as deacons. In three weeks I will leave on a month long sabbatical. That may mean little to you, but it is all incredibly stressful and exciting for me. So, I am wired for sound and running full bore. I have a million details to work out, and not enough time to get it all done. I am ready for this to happen, often irritated at the wait, and excited. . . all at the same time.

I feel like I am engaged again. Twenty-five years ago this November, I asked Denise to marry me. She, throwing caution to the wind, said yes. I wanted to marry in December. Our anniversary is August 11th. It took ten months to prepare for the wedding. I was ready for it to happen, often irritated at the wait, and excited. . . all at the same time.

There is another betrothal in process. It sounds strange to those who do not know Him, but we who follow Christ are all betrothed to Him. We are the bride, and He is the groom, and we are all here preparing for the wedding. As I ran the isles of Lowe's again today, searching for those last things needed to finish the fellowship hall while thinking about friends moving and leaders being raised up and all the details of sabbatical and preaching this Sunday, I could not help but think about those ten months that I waited to marry my beloved. And, I could not help but think about the day I met Him and all the days between then and now. Man, I am ready for this to happen, often irritated at the wait, and excited . . . all at the same time.

6 comments:

SelahV said...

Oh, wow. And I am excited with you and for you. I will pray you have a fabulous, restful, refreshing time in the Lord. selahV

Tammie said...

Waiting??!!! Wow, I remember NOT waiting very long to get married b/c of a certain baby on the way. And it wasn't mine, but my pastor's. And by the way it was the greatest wedding in the world.

Cyle Clayton said...

Tammie, I remember something about that wedding, too. I liked that one, and hey, it took, huh?

Tammie said...

yes, it took!

a friend wants to know Denise's baby doctor's name from Abi. She was a woman, am I right?

come see us!

Cyle Clayton said...

Dr. Will Schudde (pronounced shooty) delivered Rees. The pediatrician isn't there anymore, and the obgyn that delivered Chellie, Dr. Cass, isn't practicing full time anymore.

Tammie said...

thanks for info!!!