Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Deer Blind Evangelism

I was lifting some weights in the gym when a hunting show on the television caught my eye. In between sets (I sound like some kind of muscle head) the bow hunter dumped out a package of baited grain on the ground. My first thought was, "You're cheating." Seventeen yards in front of his stand, he dumps out an entire bag of baited grain meal. That is not the kind of hunting I grew up doing. Well, in about thirty minutes, an incredible white tail buck came almost running to the bait. The guy nailed him and the buck fell less than fifty yards away. Notice the steps. First, find a place where deer are known to roam. Then, build a stand in a nice location. Make sure the stand is comfortable. You will be spending many hours in it, sitting and waiting. Now, find a good bait. Put the bait out where the dear will smell it and eat it, but don't put it too far away from the stand. Get your weapon ready. Wait patiently. When the dear comes, nail him.

When I saw the video, I immediately thought about how many churches "do" evangelism. We find a location where lost and unchurched people are known to roam. We build a comfortable church there and spend a great deal of time in it. We discover and utilize various types of bait to get the lost and unchurched within reach of our church. Is this wrong? Probably not. Look, without Jesus Christ, people are going to spend eternity suffering. But, this is not the only way to reach lost and unchurched people.

When I was a kid, I didn't know what a deer blind was. We picked up our guns and stalked deer. We walked along bluffs, and quietly scouted ravines and dry creek beds. We hid behind cedars and patches of grass. The last time I killed a deer in Texas I was standing right in front of him when he came out of the brush. Do all you can to reach people who don't know Jesus. They are in serious trouble without Him, but don't rely on deer blind evangelism alone. While it is more difficult, and requires more effort and skill, making evangelism a way of life is so much more exciting and effective than waiting for them to come to you.

2 comments:

Garrett Starr said...

This is quite the timely post. Since I moved my workout to 6:15 a.m. in order to help out two friends who want to be disciplined in their exercise, I don't get to meet guys with whom I can share the Gospel like I did when I went to the gym in the afternoon. So, I have been praying and asking the Lord to show me how I can connect with men like I did in the afternoons at the gym. It hit me yesterday. If I work out twice a day, before and after work, I can support my morning buddies and also share Christ in the afternoons. I implemented this plan yesterday, met a guy who was also working out, talked a little about the Lord, and we are meeting for lunch today. Is God awesome or what? But with all this extra exercise, a nap in the deer blind is looking very appealing.

Wade Hood said...

Hope all is well with the storm warnings in your area. We missed all the impact of IKE (were hit pretty hard by Dolly). Praying for all you guys in the path of the residual storms.

Wade Hood
wade@fbcharlingen.org