Monday, November 17, 2008

Echoes Of Eternity

The sound of cold, clear, running water echoes in my heart and soul. I have fallen in love with rivers and streams and the rythms of rising trout and the ritual of casting flies. It is good to be home from the sabbatical that took me to the water, to sleep in my own bed, worship in my own church, preach, teach, and spend time with friends, but the river echoes in my mind. That echo is shaping me; vacation plans, how to get the time to slip away to a stream for a day, even which college my daughter can attend. I jokingly told her that I do not care where she goes to school, as long as there is a trout stream within an hour of her school

"I know a man in Christ who fourteen yeas ago was caught up to the third heaven - whether in the body or out of the body I do not know, God knows - and he heard things that cannot be told, which man may not utter. And I know that this man was caught up into paradise..." (2 Cor. 12:2-3a)

Surely this vision echoed in Paul's heart. He wrote that his trials, heavy by earthly standards, were lightened by the knowledge that they were temporary and that their pain could not compare with eternity. The rivers and the streams echo in my mind, but eternity echoes in my heart. God means for it to do so. That echo calls us forward, encourages us in our trials, and gives us hope in the face of mortality. We have not heard the river that flows from the throne of God with our ears, but it echoes in the grandeur and glory of Creation, it sounds in the depths of our souls and in our minds through His Word, and it strengthens us as we experience the presence of God with us and in us.

1 comments:

Garrett Starr said...

From the bottom of my Orvis heart, welcome to "The Disease" which, I agree, on its best day is only an echo. Great post. Thanks.