Monday, November 3, 2008

Near Death Experiences

I went hiking with my 15 year old daughter and 11 year old son today. We didn't take a long trail, nor was it very difficult, but I noticed something. I noticed that they are much younger than I am. As we have fished, hiked, and just rested here in the Kiamichi mountains, I have noticed that most of the people hanging out here are older than I am. I have also noticed that I am older than I used to be, meaning closer to my "expiration" date. A few years ago that would have really bothered me. I didn't want to die - had too much to do. I still have much to do, but realizing that I am probably a few years beyond my halfway point, doesn't make me sad. As a matter of fact, I am looking forward to physical death. This morning was absolutely beautiful, but it was nothing compared with where I am headed. Each morning I wake up here means that I have more work to do, more tears to shed, more suffering. Yes, there are still more joys, but the morning I wake up in the presence of my Lord will be supremely more satisfying than anything here. I will be on a permanent sabbatical. I will shed no more tears, experience no more suffering, and I will experience the fulfillment of my relationship with my Creator; the experience of the promise that all old things have passed away and all things are now become new.

2 comments:

Garrett Starr said...

Pilgrim, this is a great post. And all this time I thought your brain was made of cheese whiz! I'm looking forwarding to spending a lot of time with you guys at Thanksgiving. I love you, my brother.

SelahV said...

this so touched me tonite, my friend. Thank you... selahV