Wednesday, December 17, 2008

I Actually Enjoyed Shopping

I tried to find someone to go with me, but I had to make the trip alone. It's not long, usually about 175 miles round trip, but I wanted someone to go with me as I visited the hospitals in Shreveport. It was not to be.

Being alone offers me the opportunity to think, and interact with God in ways that are unique. I had a few errands to run, too. Shreveport is our "big town," where we get the things we can't get here in our small home town. Because of traffic, time of day, and weather, I decided to do the errands first. Academy Sports to pick up a gift. Hobby Lobby for some supplies. A specialty shop for another Christmas present (struck out there). Basspro . . . just because. The hospital was next, and it went well. My cell phone rang and my wife needed some things from Super Walmart, so I went there at the end of the trip.

Traffic was heavier, and the crowds were anxious, but Christmas carols were playing. I noticed the songs in each store, each place of commerce, each public market. I smiled at the persistence of the presence of Christ at Christmas. And, I sang. I sang softly and subversively; "Silent Night," "Joy To The World," "O Come, O Come, Emmanuel," "What Child Is This?", etc. etc. I sang, and I rejoiced whether anyone else did nor not. I determined to greet people with "Merry Christmas," regardless of their greeting, because for me it was a Merry Christ Mass (I was experiencing the presence of Christ; even in Walmart.)

1 comments:

Tammie said...

Hey I worshipped at a Toby Mac concert the other night, but enjoying shopping is a bit over the top, dude!