Saturday, January 3, 2009

If This Is Post-Christian America

As I sat in the restaurant, I overheard a conversation behind me. "Hey, it's so good to see you." "It's good to see you, too," and the small talk continued. "So, are you still faithful in church," that peeked my interest. "No, no, I'm not." "Well, you need to get back." "Yes, yes I know I should. Did you know that I had been diagnosed with cancer." "Oh, no, I'm so sorry." "Yes, well, it will be o.k." After church lady left, non-church lady went on talking, but not about God or prayer or anything remotely Christian in spite of the fact that she had been diagnosed with a life-threatening disease.

A recent poll found that Americans believe, by a two to one margin, that religion in America is losing its influence. Many Christian writers warn that we have entered the same post-Christian slide that has left many of the churches of Europe empty. There has always been a healthy percentage of professing Christians that gave only lip service to Christ. Yet it seems that we have entered a new age of apathy concerning God and His truths.

The real issue is not the condition of our society, but the condition of my faithfulness. If this is the age in which America becomes like many other nations who have forsaken God, will I become one who dims until I die, or will I be one who faithfully carries the light and salts the path until He claims me?

0 comments: