Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Apprenticed To Christ - Part 2



A few months ago I began tying flies for fishing. I purchased a book, read, and tried to tie a few. They were pitiful. So, I found some men who have tied flies for years and watched them. Then I tried again. The result was a little better, but not much. So, I continued to read, and then I found videos on the internet about how to tie flies. I apprenticed myself to professional fly tyers through these videos. On our last fishing trip, I supplied the flies for the men who fished and we actually caught fish. It was awesome.
When Christ called His disciples, He did not only call them to a new philosophy. He called them to a new life, a new way of life, and the only way they could learn that life was to follow Him. Too often we think Christianity is a belief system. While we must know about Him, we must, more importantly, know Him. The disciples were able to physically follow Him, and in that they were blessed. Yet, God says that we are more blessed, who follow Him without seeing. To those of us who have apprenticed ourselves to Him through faith, we follow in the Spirit. Yet, we must follow, and not merely believe. Faith without the expression of that same faith is dead.
Eugene Peterson knew something vital about following Christ when he wrote, "A disciple is a learner, but not in the academic setting of a schoolroom, rather at the work site of a craftsman. We do not acquire information about God but skills in faith." (p.18, A Long Obedience In The Same Direction, 2th Anniversary Edition).

0 comments: