Saturday, April 25, 2009

Fly Fishing


A local Bass Club partnered with a Baptist ministry here on Toledo Bend to do a children's fishing tournament today. I took my kids. My 12 year old son wanted to fish. My 16 year old daughter wanted to hang out with friends. I enjoyed helping the kids catch fish, but when they were mostly done I found myself standing calf deep in the lake fly fishing. A little boy waded out beside me and asked, "Why are we standing out here in the water." "Habit," I replied, "I guess." I just like it. Fly fishing feels natural. I'm not saying I would never want to fish from a boat again, but if I did I would probably want a fly rod in my hands. It is one of the most relaxing, restful things that I do. I saw an old man this week, rolling his wheelchair down the sidewalk outside the nursing / retirement center. He had a chipping wedge and a putter in his lap, and his left pant leg was empty from the knee down. I asked him where the practice green was. He told me he wanted to go to the golf course, but couldn't get there today. He wheeled down to the end of the sidewalk, locked the brakes on his wheelchair, and stared at the clubs in his lap. Everything in this world is so temporary, and yet we get so attached.

0 comments: