Tuesday, March 2, 2010

And That Matters?


I have spent enough time on the river I'm fishing this week to study and learn it. At least I had learned it until a flood blew it out last year. The whole landscape changed and we are having to re-learn it now.

Today, as we walked from one section of river to the next I thought, "Man, if I just had weekends off, I could spend alot more time learning this river." And the next that was, "And that matters exactly how much in eternity?" This picture is of my son last August as we made our way down to the river. Time with my son matters, but how I spend it determines its value in eternity.

If I were off on weekends, he and I could fish this river and many others. We could become experts, learn the hatches, the rises, the lairs of the fish. We could become trout experts. And then one day we could stand before God and demonstrate our expertise to him.

Since I am not off except a couple of weekends a year, I don't get to fish as much as I'd like. But, that does not mean I cannot spend time with my son. I absolutely love these days we have together on the river, but there are over 300 others during the year we spend together, too. I do not resent my calling. My children do not resent it, because this is what we do. We follow God, and we serve God's people. And, in the end, following Him, teaching my family to follow Him, and helping others follow Him is all that matters.

Maybe you occasionally join me in asking the same question Peter did, wondering if all we have given up for His sake is worth it. To which Jesus replied, "Everyone who has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or children or lands, for my name's sake, will receive a hundredfold and will inherit eternal life. But many who are first will be last and the last first." (Matt. 19:29-30)


0 comments: