Saturday, March 27, 2010

I Am Haunted By Waters

Almost every time I mention my passion for fly fishing, someone asks, "Have you seen that movie, A River Runs Through It?" Even thought he movie was a hit, and has become iconic for it's scenes of its characters gracefully weaving their lines across the river, I had never seen it until just a few days ago. And, I am glad, grateful to God for that fact, because I have learned something valuable from it just now.


The movie was released 18 years ago. 18 years ago, I didn't fly fish, and had no desire to do so. If I had seen the movie then I would have enjoyed it, but now, after finding this new joy and passion in the art of fly fishing, the movie was rich. If I had watched it 18 years ago, or just 4 years ago, I would have been moved by it, but this weekend I understood it.

Love is patient. Impatience is not love. If I do not have patience, I do not have love. If I do not have love, all my abilities, giftings, talents, and efforts will profit me nothing. God even says that a life lived impatiently not only profits me nothing, but even defines me as nothing. "...though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing." (1 Cor. 13:2)

Patience is literally "long-suffering." And, how often do we think that our suffering is useless, that it will never end? How often do we ask God why we are suffering, rather than simply rejoicing that our suffering has meaning in His hands? And, how often do we refuse to suffer long with the people around us, making their world miserable and our lives nothing?

I don't know if these words mean anything to you. They are the last words of the novel and movie written by Norman Maclean. "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs. I am haunted by waters."

They remind me what one of my fly fishing mentors told me. "It is impossible to be an impatient fly fisherman." It is also impossible to be an impatient, and fruitful Christian.


1 comments:

amorris said...

True words, for both the Christian life, and being a good fly fisherman. My mentor told me the same thing! Patience is a necessity. Without it you can do little good.