Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Griping Up The Chain Of Command


With my voice I cry out to the LORD; with my voice I plead to the LORD. I pour out my complaint before him; I tell my trouble before him. (Psalm 142:1-2

While the squeaky wheel may get the grease, complaining to others is really unbefitting a child of God. Do you like that big word, unbefitting? It may be American to complain to the world, but it's not Christ-like. There is a chain of command for our gripes. If you must gripe, gripe to God. Always gripe up. And, in case you don't understand this principal, let me illustrate with a scene from Saving Private Ryan when Private Reibin was griping about their mission to save Private Ryan.

Private Jackson: Sir... I have an opinion on this matter.
Captain Miller: Well, by all means, share it with the squad.
Private Jackson: Well, from my way of thinking, sir, this entire mission is a serious misallocation of valuable military resources.
Captain Miller: Yea. Go on.
Private Jackson: Well, it seems to me, sir, that God made me a special instrument of warfare.
Captain Miller: Reiben, pay attention. Now, this is the way to grip. Continue, Jackson.
Private Jackson: Well, what I mean by that, sir is . . . if you was to put me and this here sniper rifle anywhere up to and including one mile of Adolph Hitler with a clear line of sight, sir... pack your bags, fellas, war's over. Amen.
Private Reiben: Oh, that's brilliant, bumpkin. Hey, so, Captain, what about you? I mean, you don't gripe at all?
Captain Miller: I don't gripe to you, Reiben, I'm a captain. There's a chain of command. Gripes go up, not down. Always up. You gripe to me. I gripe to my superior officer, so on, so on, son on. I don't gripe to you. I don't gripe in front of you. You should know that as a Ranger.
Private Reiben: I'm sorry, sir, but oh... let's say you weren't a captain, or maybe I was a major. What would you say then?
Captain Miller: Well, in that case... I'd say. "This is an excellent mission, sir, with an extremely valuable objective, sir, worthy of my best efforts, sir. Moreover... I feel heartfelt sorrow for the mother of Private James Ryan and am willing to lay down my life and the lives of my men - especially you, Reiben - to ease her suffering.
Mellish: [chuckles] He's good.
Private Caparzo: I love him.

So, I think it is better to gripe up.

2 comments:

Garrett Starr said...

I guess as a faithful member of your readership, I should be glad that you didn't quote one of your other favorite movies like Meatballs, Fast Times at Ridgemont High, or The Razor's Edge.

Cyle Clayton said...

Just for the record, Meatballs & Fast Times are not on my favorite movie list.