Thursday, April 22, 2010

When What You See Is Contrary To Hope


God, who gives life to the dead and calls those things which do not exist as though they did; who, contrary to hope, in hope believed, so that he became the father of many nations, (Rom. 3:17-18)


As I looked around today, I saw things that were contrary to hope. I told my best friend I was down. She said I needed to start seeing the things that are, rather than the things that are not. That's good counsel, a good word my "glass-half-full" sister-friend received from God and passed on to me. As I began my effort to follow her counsel, a Scripture came to mind, "God... calls those things which do not exist as though they did."

Many abuse this passage, believing that God has granted them the ability to call those things into existence that do not exist. They believe that the Creator has given them the ability to create. Perhaps I am a man of little faith, but I do not believe that. I do, however, believe in the One who does have that ability. He gave life to an old woman's womb, Sarah, and she conceived Abraham's son, Isaac. I know the same God, the One who still brings life through His Word, even through the Word He has already spoken, like the passage above.

When what I see is contrary to hope, I am learning what to do. I am learning to look for the One who calls those things which do not exist as though they did. As I focus on Him, He fills my half-empty heart as miraculously as He filled Sarah's ancient womb. And, very often, He even changes those hopeless scenes, bringing life into situations that I thought were as lifeless as the lunar surface. Whether they change or not, I am changed, and I rejoice, and I begin to live a life again that brings glory and attention to the One.

p.s. My wife is my best friend, and I'm so thankful for her half-full glass.

1 comments:

Paula's Ponderings said...

Be blessed my friend... you are such a wonderful man of God and have so many good things happening in your life, especially your half-full friend!
I read the encouragement from your church family on your sermon last week, and had a dream about how you add sugar to your sermons. I pray we can add a little sugar and sweetness to give to our church family.
You are a blessing to so many.

Love you guys,
J&P