Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Comfort Food


"Two things I request of You (Deprive me not before I die); Remove falsehood and lies far from me; Give me neither poverty nor riches - Feed me with the food allotted to me; Lest I be full and deny You, and say, "Who is the Lord?" Or lest I be poor and steal, and profane the name of my God." (Proverbs 30:7-9)

Comfort is a greater enemy of true Christian faith than poverty. History proves this fact, even in our day. While the prosperous church in America has flat-lined in growth and decreased in its influence as salt and light, the poverty-stricken and oppressed churches in China and elsewhere have exploded.

The issue for us is not what comfort does to "the church" but the danger prosperity is to us individually. None of us have a problem praying for relief from poverty. But, if statistics are true, far fewer of us have prayed, "God help me never tell a lie." Do you, however, regularly pray "God, please don't let me become rich? Give me only enough to meet my needs and to meet the needs of others, and keep me from becoming comfortable in this world?"

Do you recognize the danger that comfort is to your faithfulness to Christ? Just like comfort food increases our beltlines and decreases our physical fitness, physical comfort can decrease our spiritual fitness. There's nothing wrong with living in the most prosperous nation on the planet. There's nothing wrong with prospering, but there is an inherent risk to our Christian walk. How do you pray, for yourself, your children, your grandchildren?

1 comments:

selahV said...

Cyle, Life is not easy, to be sure. comfort has evaded me most of my life and to be honest, I don't know that I would be who I am today with a perfect little world. I'm grateful the Lord has given me strength to meet the moments. I pray for my daughter and grandchildren to grow in God's grace and deeper in love with Jesus. Tonight I pray my 12-yr. old granddaughter is granted wisdom and strength to deal with the 5th anniversary of her daddy's death. She's having a tough time this year. She really misses him. That love he showed her has never waned. this year is hard on her. Please pray for Brooklyn...thanks. selahV