Friday, May 21, 2010

How Jesus Helped Me Get Over Washington, D.C.



It is not often that a foreign leader addresses our congress. This week the president of Mexico did. During his speech, he criticized the Arizona law regarding illegal immigrants in its borders. When he did that, virtually every Democrat stood and applauded. When I read that, I was appalled. It was like a groundswell moment in my emotions. I do not know if the Arizona law is racial profiling. I do not know the intricacies of federalism. I do know that if my children invited a friend over, and that friend began to criticize another of my children, and the other children rose up and applauded, I would send their friend home immediately and then I would deal with my children. Whether their friend was right or wrong would not matter. That was appalling, but it was even worse because our own executive branch officials are travelling the world and criticizing Arizona as well. And members of the other party are using the whole thing for political gain.

This morning, I didn't start my day with Fox News. I started it with God's Word. I'm not boasting. Most mornings I click on the news app on my iPhone before I click on the Bible Reader, but not today. I was reading Psalm 1, and then I stumbled upon Psalm 2. Here it is, here is how Jesus helped me get over Washington, D.C.

"Why do the nations rage, and the people plot a vain thing? The kings of the earth set themselves, and the rulers take counsel together, against the Lord and against His Anointed, saying, "let us break Their bonds in pieces and cast away Their cords from us." He who sits in the heavens shall laugh; the Lord shall hold them in derision. Then He shall speak to them in His wrath, and distress them in His deep displeasure;"

I am on official member of the Throw The Bums Out political party, which is a tri-partisan, non-denominational, equally appalled political movement that believes starting over with a whole new crew couldn't be any worse than it is now. However, I am part of another Kingdom, and My King seems quite able to handle whatever happens in Washington, Beijing, Moscow, and Greece.

Thank You, Jesus, for reminding me You are in charge.

2 comments:

SelahV said...

Cyle, I usually turn on the computer and check email. And when I find emails from folks like you, I know I will be enriched for the time I take to read them.

Powerful post and stated exactly as I feel. I have been watching what is going on in our country (and around the world) with a kind of out-of-body viewpoint. It's like I am just waiting to see the hand of God reach down and scoop up His own as the rest wreak havoc and chaos of themselves. I am most disgusted that the POTUS held a state dinner in honor of Mexico's president and did not show the same honor toward the Prime Minister of Israel.

It is a continual slap in the face of Israel. And there is no doubt that this dinner was a courting of votes for 2012. But God is bigger and wiser than all these charades.

I am a throw-ALL-the-bums out crowd myself. May God clean house with Washington and my heart as well.

Thanks for sending me this post. selahV

Joe said...

Very well stated! I identify completely with what you have written.

(By the way, I came here via SelahV)