Monday, May 17, 2010

Just As I Am


Have you ever said, "That's just the way I am"? It's a universal thought; a universal excuse. Just As I am is one way we justify our defects of character, our besetting sins, and our outright unwillingness to change. There is only one I AM who is justified in the way He is. He loves us us just the way we are, but sacrificed His Son to make sure we do not remain just as we are. He is concerned that we become who He wants us to be, who He has predestined us to be; an image of His Son, Jesus Christ. The wicked step-mother had a hideous heart and a mirror who lied to her about it. That's what just as I am is. It is the mirror of self, and self always tells itself what it wants to hear. James said that God will never lie to us about the way we are. He will love us, no matter what, but He will not lie to us. His mirror, according to James, is the Word of God. James said that when we look into the mirror, the Word, and then look away and forget who God says we are, justifying who we say we are, we are self-deceivers. "But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves. For if anyone is a hearer of the word and not a doer, he is like a man observing his natural face in a mirror; for he observes himself, goes away, and immediately forgets what kind of man he was." (James 1:22-24) It's one thing to be deceived by someone else. That always leaves us angry and feeling foolish. How foolish do I have to be to deceive myself? Whatever you are, hold it up to the mirror. See what God sees in you, then go and do what He says to do about what He sees.

1 comments:

selahV said...

I broke my mirror a few days ago. Now when I look into it, the distortion is probably a better picture of what's inside me than when it was whole. In constant need of a Savior...selahV