Monday, June 21, 2010

It's Personal


As I drove down a country lane, I noticed that house after house had flags with single initials hanging from pine trees, poles, and porches. Now, I'm no rocket scientist, but I quickly ascertained that the people living in those houses had last names beginning with those letters and that those houses were all estates. Why, you ask? Because those flags are called "Monogrammed Estate Flags."

I told my wife that the moment we get an estate, we must have one of those flags. However, I am not going to get a "C" flag, even though that is the first initial of my first and last names. I am going to get a "Z" flag instead. I just like the way the "Z" looks. Besides, "C's" are much too common. It will be a much greater challenge for people to figure out our last name if we put up a "Z" flag.

Have you noticed how we manage our privacy? We refuse to give out some information about our lives, while freely broadcasting other information. How we manage our privacy, how we "spin" our sin, says much about how we are currently related to God. Think about it.

"And this is the condemnation, that the light has come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil. For everyone practicing evil hates the light and does not come to the light, lest his deeds should be exposed. But he who does the truth comes to the light, that his deeds may be clearly seen, that they have been done in God." (John 3:19-21)


0 comments: