Tuesday, August 24, 2010

I Can Be Thankful And Not Give Thanks


For although they knew God, they did not honor him as God or give thanks to him, but they became futile in their thinking, and their foolish hearts were darkened. ~ Romans 1:21
You say grace before meals. All right. But I say grace before the concert and the opera, and grace before the play and pantomime, and grace before I open a book, and grace before sketching, painting, swimming, fencing, boxing, walking, playing, dancing, and grace before I dip the pen in the ink. ~ G. K. Chesterton
I cannot be thankful and not give thanks. What would that be, thankfulness without thanksgiving? The thought of it is too twisted to even exist in the rational mind, and yet it exists in the practice of us all at some point. We "think" about the goodness of God but fail to thank Him. We appreciate the goodness of another but fail to open our mouths and say, "thank you." What is that? What can I possibly mean if I say "I am thankful" and yet do not give thanks? No wonder so few of us see the power of God manifested in our lives. We forget to practice the spirit-filled life by the giving of thanks for and in all things.

0 comments: