Thursday, December 16, 2010

Re-Gifting For Christmas


“Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace among those with whom he is pleased!” ~ Luke 2:14

The shepherds were simple nobodies living in the fields with their sheep. There was nothing special about them, nothing that warranted God’s announcement, no reason that the Angelic host should announce the birth of God’s Son to them rather than to any other group.

That is what “with whom he is pleased means.” It doesn’t mean that if we live life well enough, God will be pleased with us. It means that God is pleased with those who, by faith receive His gift. He fills our souls with glory and peace just for receiving the Greatest Gift Ever Given.

We know they received the gift because they acted on their faith, quickly making their way to Bethlehem to see the child. They worshiped him, and then did exactly what God intends each of us to do with the Gift. They Re-Gifted. They walked outside the manger and began to tell everyone about Jesus. They Re-Gifted the Greatest Gift Ever Given, and their hearts were filled – both by receiving the gift and by giving it away.

I have lost five friends this year. I knew four of them were dying, but the fifth died suddenly. It has been especially hard because one of those people was not a believer. However, in the middle of this loss, I have peace in my heart.

I have peace because I have received Christ. I am a simple nobody, but it pleased God to make Himself known to me and to give me life. I also have peace because I Re-Gifted this gift to each of my five friends. I have Re-Gifted the Gospel to everyone that I can think of in my life who may not know Him. My friends are gone from this earth, but I have the peace of knowing that they heard the Gospel from me before they died.

It is God’s pleasure for you to Receive the Gift, and to give it away. There is peace in receiving the gift, but there is no peace if it is not Re-Gifted. There is no joy in knowing that someone died who I could have told about Jesus, but did not tell.

There are only a few days left till Christmas. It is time to Re-Gift.

0 comments: