Monday, January 17, 2011

Star Light, Star Bright


Star light, Star bright
The first star I see tonight
I wish I may, I wish I might
Have the wish I wish tonight

Most of us live in towns or cities where, on a good night without a moon in the sky, we can see perhaps a few dozen stars. That makes a dark sky full of stars so wondrous.  When we go camping, or driving in the country at night, or if we are truly blessed and get to live out in the country, we look up and see thousands.  The first time I camped in the Big Bend area of Texas, an area completely devoid of the light pollution of city lights, the Milky Way was so bright on the horizon that I thought it was a cloud.  While the stars seem innumerable, scientists tell us that at the most we can see 4,000 to 6,000 stars with our naked eyes.

If every child who has been aborted in this country were a star in the sky, there would be 53 million stars visible to the naked eye. If they were of average brightness, their light would blind us at night and during the day. There would be no darkness anytime, anywhere.

0 comments: