Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Invictus Running With The Wind


"'Come!" He said. And climbing out of the boat, Peter started walking on the water and came toward Jesus. But when he saw the strength of the wing, he was afraid. And, beginning to sink he cried out, 'Lord, save me!'" ~ Matthew 14:29-30

The winds always blow, and most blow with them. They build their lives like tall ships in full sail running with, rather than against the wind. The ride is thrilling. Sins indulged. Philosophies considered and embraced. Worldviews developed. Lifestyles entertained and approved. Religion is even part of the mix. They captain their ships, believing they are in charge of their destinies. They are inspired by others who run with the wind, like William Ernest Henly. This poet faced great trials in life without God. He wrote Invictus (latin for invincible), a poem that has inspired millions to continue running with the wind.

Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds and shall find me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Those who run with the wind may successfully stear their course around the rock all their lives, but in the end they will not avoid Him. They will tragically discover that they were not the masters of their fates, the captains of their souls. There is another Captain, another Master, who is also a rock. No ship avoids Him in the end. "Look! I am putting a stone in Zion to stumble over, and a rock to trip over, yet the one who believes on Him will not be put to shame." (Rom.9:33)

Are you running with the wind?

0 comments: