Wednesday, May 23, 2012

That's Not Me, Exactly



Do not be conformed to this age, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind... (Rom.12:2a)

"Hey, you were here yesterday, right?" asked the pastor.  "Yes," he said, "great message, pastor." "So, did you do it?"  A puzzled look and then, "What?" Pastor, continuing, "Did you do it? Did you share the gospel with people yesterday and today? I mean, that's what I preached about - the power of the Holy Spirit that enables us to share the Gospel everywhere we go?" Have you ever seen human skin turn from pink and healthy to cold, clammy and pale in just a moment?

I love asking people to do the things Christ asks them to do. I love asking them to pray, to read the Word, to gather together in corporate and small group settings to study the Bible. I love asking them to give and serve and witness. I love this, because I represent Christ when I ask those questions. Often, however, the response is like the one above. Sometimes I even hear, "Well, that's just not me, pastor."

I want to say, "Exactly. I know it's not you. That is precisely why you need to do it. No man naturally believes. No man naturally bears witness after believing. No man denies himself, takes up his cross, and follows Christ. No man naturally mutually submits himself to a body of believers, lays down the remote and takes up the Bible, lays down the fishing rod and takes up the hammer at work day, lays down his yard work and takes up children's ministry, lays down his free time and spends it on sharing the Gospel. That is exactly why you desperately need to do so, so that you can begin to walk in the abundant life Jesus promised - not the kind of life you've been living, but one infinitely deeper, wider, and more satisfying than any you have yet experienced."

0 comments: