Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Professional Ethics For The Born Again Christian


Almost every profession has an ethical code, and almost every code prohibits the professional from expressing their personal religious faith. There are also clear ethical codes regarding being deceptive and lying to a client, patient, or student. If the professional is a born again believer in Jesus Christ, follows Christ, and is serious about his or her obedience to the commands of Christ, is it not deceptive to hide his or her faith? Can a teacher knowingly deny his or her faith and be a moral/ethical teacher? Can a psychologist, physician, or attorney knowingly hide all their religious beliefs and still maintain ethical integrity? Is not not more ethical to be honest about one's faith as a professional than to be dishonest about it? Take, for instance, a chaplain. Is it ethical for a chaplain to deny his own faith in order to help a person of a different faith? Is that not, at the very core, deceptive? If a chaplain is not convinced of his own moral and ethical center, then he cannot possibly be a person who can truly help another. He is unethical because he has no convictions. So, when he enters the hospital room of a patient of another faith, would it not be better to be honest than to deceive that patient? Would it not be more ethical for the chaplain to say, "I know that you are Buddhist. I am a Christian chaplain, a Baptist. I cannot deny my faith. To do so would make me deceptive. I am here to help you in any way I can, as long as you are comfortable with that and will allow me. I would rather be honest with you than to be deceptive." If Christ is everything to me, whether I am a pastor, teacher, psychologist, attorney, doctor, barber, CPA, or mechanic, then it is unethical and immoral for me to pretend that He is not everything to me.

0 comments: