Thursday, November 15, 2012

Chest Thumping


I have not been a huge college football fan. However, if you have a daughter at Louisiana Tech (#19 in the AP poll), live in Louisiana a.k.a. an LSU fan (#8), a brother-in-law who played for Texas Tech (#23), are now a closet A&M (#9) fan because they beat Alabama (#4 and headed downward), and want something relatively wholesome to watch on TV (relatively), then it doesn't hurt to become one. So, I have.

There is one thing in all professional athletics that makes me laugh and cringe at the same time.  (Don't kid yourself. College football is professional athletics.)  That one thing is chest-thumping.  From Usain Bolt at the Olympics to virtually every college player who makes any kind of play, chest-thumping has become the norm. "Look at me! I am bad! Look at me!" And, we love it. When our team thumps, we thump, too.

If you are a devoted fan of Jesus, you will notice that he never thumped his chest. He said his ministry would be invalid if he did . . . "If I testify about Myself, My testimony is not valid." (Jn.5:31)  Instead, he glorified his Father, trusting his Father to glorify him . . . "The Father who sent Me has Himself testified about Me." (Jn.5:37a)

His statement, "I do not accept glory from men," (Jn.5:41), was epitomized in his life in his refusal to thump. He did not thump after the victory over temptation in the wilderness, nor after the deliverance of demoniacs, nor after the healing of thousands, nor after the feeding of thousands, nor after walking on water, nor after rising from the grave. Jesus refused to thump.

He didn't have to. He thrived on glorifying his Father . . . "My food is to do the will of Him who sent Me and to finish His work," (Jn.4:34a) He thrived on humble obedience to his Father.

None of us will thrive any other way.

0 comments: