Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Jesus In My Place

Psalm 22:1-31

This is a Messianic psalm - a prophetic picture of Jesus. The Holy Spirit moved David to write it, but David's heart is here also. Near despair, he cried out, "My god, my God, why have You forsaken me?" And while he sang he was delivered, "I will proclaim Your name to my brothers; I will praise you in the congregation." Between the agony and the ecstasy God intervened. David did not self-talk himself into hope. He cried out to God, and God delivered. I do not know if David understood that the Messiah to come would bear all the agony he expressed in the first verses of this psalm, but I do know that Jesus knew. David's heart's agony was born by Jesus, the Messiah. What an amazing thought. David cried out in agony of soul and God did not just deliver him. God delivered Him by sending His own Son, Jesus, to bear all of David's agony (and all ours) so that we could begin to be the people who sing forth the praises of the one who has delivered us from darkness into the kingdom of His marvelous light.

0 comments: