Tuesday, July 2, 2013

I Know A Guy

Ok, this picture may border on sacrilegious to you, but I thought it was funny and it expresses my thoughts about a few blogs I want to do. I've been preaching through Ephesians, and got to Ephesians 4, particularly 4:7 where Paul writes, "Now grace was given to each one of  us according to the measure of the Messiah's gift."  I like that. Every single born again believer in Jesus Christ, no matter what age, education or background has been gifted by Christ. I wanted to write about some of those people. I'm going to try to keep it anonymous for many reasons. I want this to encourage you to serve in and through your church. I want this to encourage you just to glorify God by serving. I want you to see some "ordinary" people serve, since so often we think the only really qualified people are those standing behind pulpits, planting churches, or going to the mission field. I'm gonna call it "I know a guy."

I know a guy, actually a lady, who sat in church every Sunday in virtual silence. Her dusky gray hair pulled back in a tight bun, petite frame and quiet demeanor were like a social camouflage that caused her to blend into the crowd. But, I caught her one day. I was a part-time youth guy at the church, and I caught her cleaning up the kitchen. The pastor told me I was not to tell anyone, because she didn't want them to know. This was how she served her church, and she wanted no credit for it. Her stealthiness didn't work, because I have never forgotten her.

0 comments: