Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Expectantly Expectant: What Happens When We Expect And When We Don't?

"expectant"         

Our church seems to be filled with expectant mothers right now, though the list is dwindling as faith becomes sight. I mean, as expectant mothers deliver. It's a great season. New life. New challenges.

"expectant"         

We are in the middle of an outreach ministry attempting to reach millenials.  It's called TheAvenueLive (#theavenuelife). We were so expectant that it took weeks just to figure out what to call it.

"expectant"         

My son has just graduated high school, my daughter will from college this Saturday. Then in a week she will marry. To say the least, my wife and I are expectant.

Expectancy is powerful. It changes and empowers us. It can lead us to great heights. If placed in the wrong person, it can deceive and lead to great depths. It is not a luxury or an option, but a necessity if we intend to contend for the faith and finish the race, "keep yourselves in the love of God, expecting the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ for eternal life." (Jude 21)

As I listened to Christy Nockels on Pandora today, her Passion rendering of Waiting Here For You came up. My first thought was, "what if our whole church expected God to move every time we gather and all the time as we scatter?"  I was overcome by the power of it. As a friend, father, and pastor, my thoughts turned to my own expectancy. How vital my own expectancy is, how important to our church. How powerful it's presence and absence as I pray for my adult children.

So, I expectantly begin a journey into expectancy as I write about it for the next few posts.





0 comments: