Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Don't Let It Go, Learn From The Past


Then Job replied to the LORD: I know that You can do anything and no plan of Yours can be thwarted. You asked, "Who is this who conceals My counsel with ignorance?" Surely I spoke about things I did not understand, things too wonderful for me to know. You said, "Listen now, and I will speak. When I question you, you will inform Me." I had heard rumors about You, but now my eyes have seen You, therefore I take back my words and repent in dust and ashes.  (Job 42:1-6)

When it comes to a person's past most people break into a spoken word rendition of "Let It Go" from Disney's Frozen. Let it go. Let it go. That's not always the best thing to do. What if the way you have interpreted your past is wrong? What if you're like Job, and you've misinterpreted God by means of misinterpreting your past?  What if you never take the time to reinterpret the past in light of who God really is?

Job was a great, godly man who hated sin and loved God. Satan told God that Job was only godly because God had blessed him. God allowed Satan to test Job, taking all he had except his life and his wife (who encouraged Job to curse God for the losses). Job became the poster child for When Bad Things Happen To Good People. While he didn't curse God, he began to accuse God of being unfair and unjust. If God had not come and caused Job to reevaluate his past in light of the reality of who God really is, Job would have died in despair. Instead, when he saw who God really was and who he really was, he was able to repent of his past and move into the future with God.

Sometimes we don't need to let it go. Sometimes we need to bring it back up with God and ask Him to reinterpret our past in light of who He is and how He does things. That's what I've been doing for several weeks now as I've preached through the book of Job. I've come to realize that much of how I viewed the past was through pessimistic eyes. I wasn't pessimistic about God as much as I was about myself, my own abilities. As I've asked God to show me Himself, I've tried to understand and reinterpret my past in light of God, His truth, and His plan. It's been sobering, and it's led to repentance, but it is also leading to levels of personal freedom that I believe will help me glorify God and be filled with greater joy as I serve Him in the future.

So, maybe you don't need to let it go. Maybe you need to bring it back up, only this time bring it up with God. 



0 comments: